09 August 2005

big brother has gone too far this time

ok, it's like 430, and i've been done with my day for, well, those of you who know me can fill in THAT blank.

so i go to the gay city news website... banned! the error message: 'gay and lesbian and bisexual interest is filtered.' [sic, fucking morons.] i go to four other completely innocuous gay-themed websites. banned, banned, banned, and banned. so, i dust off my rainbow flag and go marching in my cube-farm director's office. explain the situation to her as calmly as a crazyperson could, and after i explained that the websites i was trying to get were not to, well, get a date for tonight (despite my new title above, hahahaha) i told her that i sincerely hoped this is not where our company was headed. and that i hope that someone looking up something on a latino heritage website or an asian language website wouldn't encounter such. fine, you don't want me reading the paper at work, but don't tell me my lifestyle is filtered. what's next: 'black and latino and asian interest is filtered.'? i sincerely, sincerely hope not. to her credit, she was fantastic: 'just tell me the websites you want and i'm happy to ask the question.' good answer.