15 March 2006

i sent post-its to chicago today

i am realllllllly anal about my office supplies. not like the guy in officespace who had his special stapler (though not much better), but more like the types of pens i'll use (gel!), the type of sticky pads i'll use (the little ones, and the medium ones, but not the square ones and certainly never the big rectangular ones), and so on.

I lost my last gel pen on friday, and gave in to some piece of crap plastic crapola pen that i had laying around. it was in my shirt, per usual, when one of my coworkers on the cool floor stopped me and told me that she liked it in company of another coworker. i gave it to her. the other coworker, of japanese descent, told me she liked it and wanted one too, so i went to my floor and interofficed it. she, being excruciatingly proper, sent me an email yesterday that she loved it and thank you, etc. i am anal about my pens, so her gratitude didn't seem all that off.

but then it occurred to me: if i could make one coworker happy by interofficing supplies i hate and of which i want to get rid anyway, why couldn't i clean my desk the eco-friendly way and interoffice people in our offices around the world my unwanted supplies? my own little u.n. happy campaign, if you will.

so i did.

japan got more pens like the one i sent to my japanese-descendended coworker. if one japanese lady liked them, i'm taking the odds that another will. i picked a random name out of the directory, in a low level position, and won't she be thrilled!

a half-used pad of those post-its that fit into a dispenser (which we don't have, as it's not in the big brother approved supply catalogue, but the refills are, go figure, and i got duped into taking them from the supply closet, so i've been using two stickies everytime i go to pull one, grr, piss me off will you sticky pad, pack your bags!) went to a bitch i really don't like in chicago. with two blunt-tipped pencils. there isn't one pencil sharpener on my floor, hopefully they have one in chicago. who knows, but sooo not my problem any longer.

a cool mechanical pencil to a guy who had a cool name in germany. (i don't use pencils. period.) auf veitizen.

thank you notes bequeathed from a former coworker to someone with an annoying name in houston. yee haw, write 'em, cowboy.

and blue ink cheap ball-points to a porter in london. (i don't use blue ink, either. period.) cheerio, matey.

all were carefully wrapped so they wouldn't feel like what they are (and not like the guys in the mailroom give a shit, really), i dropped two of these off in the cool floor's outgoing mailbox, two in the beige floor of doom that makes mine look like a rainbow of fruit flavors / kaleidoscope, and two in the executive floor's outgoing mailbox. all interoffice envelopes were new ('use until all spaces are filled.' DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!) so there was no 'who was the last name in the space above ours' about which to worry. the recipient will just know it as a shipment of from new york, and isn't it his or her lucky day!

starving for stimulation at work, can you tell? :-D